Monday, August 4, 2014

Nouakchott - Mauritania


A hotel in downtown Nouakchott

In Nouakchott life is different. I have been here for a few days now, and I am still learning about the Mauritanian society and culture. I am not the first person to move to Mauritania and certainly not the last one. However, I have been receiving worried phone calls and emails from friends and family, who, to some extent, were not welcoming the idea of working and living in Mauritania.
This country is in fact gorgeous. Just like any other country, it makes me think differently. It gives me new ideas and it makes me a more knowledgeable person. Life is relatively slow, simple and quiet. Mauritanians are hospitable people who have a strong desire to work and benefit their communities. It is true that working conditions are not very favourable; however, this is exactly what makes Mauritania unique, and my work challenging.

Working for the United Nations is just as special as working in Mauritania. Facing too many challenges and having access to limited resources makes my stay here a special experience that will certainly help me grow in character and in depth of understanding. Sometimes we need to immerse ourselves in a place that we usually do not hear of in the news, a place that people do not look forward to go to, a place that is waiting for new visitors.
Nouakchott is the beating heart of Mauritania. With less than a million people, it is the largest city in the country and one of the largest cities in the Sahara. It combines the magnificence of the Sahara with the greatness of the Atlantic Ocean. This scene is not very common, and it creates a new perspective of life.

Being one of the residents of Mauritania is something very special. It helps me understand how people lived here for years and how people deal with their struggles as I dealt with mine while I was in New York, except, our struggles are undoubtedly very, very different. The beauty of this country is found in the habits and traditions of the people who, very spontaneously, just want to carry on and keep doing what they have been doing for a long time. Despite the weather conditions, the limited resources and the high poverty rate, they have succeeded in being simple people, patient, persistent, who do not look up to commodities of life, and that is what makes them a great nation that happens to be infamous.  

#AIK #YAL

No comments:

Post a Comment