Thursday, August 14, 2014

Salt Lake City, Utah

Utah has its own magic. As soon as I landed in SLC Airport, I was amazed by the snowy mountains surrounding the city from all different sides. The weather was colder than in Portland, and the city seemed to be quieter. 

McKenzie, a close friend of mine who was interning with me in Switzerland in the summer of 2013, is from Salt Lake City. She was kind enough to not only be my guide in Utah, but also my host during the few days I stayed there. 

Salt Lake City was too gray. It was not too crowded or noisy. Snow was still covering the ground and the buildings and everything else just looked peaceful. I was carrying my back bag, my phone and my camera with me, making sure to capture any scene that I found beautiful and unusual. McKenzie was telling me fascinating stories about the city, its astonishing history and its founders, as I walked behind her, looking at every building, every street, listening to the sounds of the city and trying to feel what it was like to be in SLC on that day. 

Not too far from the city center, I could see the most valuable monument in the city: The Temple. The SLC Temple is located in an open area called Temple Square and is certainly the most shining and most prestigious building in the city. It is not only a religious monument, but also a unique symbol that represents the capital of the state of Utah. The Utah State Capitol is just as gorgeous as the Temple. I was not surprised when I met European tourists who were inside the Capitol. 

Provo is where I stayed during my journey in Utah. The city of Provo is not too far from SLC. We took a train to get to Provo where McKenzie’s father was waiting for us in his car. The next day was another great day. It was the day where I got to discover a big part of my McKenzie’s life. Provo is the second biggest city in Utah, and is an excellent area for people who have a strong passion for nature, just like myself. I often got the chance to see some wilderness in the streets, and I was fortunate to go on a road trip all the way to Midway, a place that reminded us of our days in Switzerland, another wonder of Utah. The last day of my stay in Provo, McKenzie and her mom took me to the airport, we hugged, we cried, and then I got on the plane that was flying to Denver, Colorado. 

#AIK #YAL 

McKenzie, Bri, and I, in front of the Temple

Salt Lake City seen from the top of The LDS church office building

Utah State Capitol

McKenzie and I driving in Provo

No comments:

Post a Comment